RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rollin' my own 50CC Yak 54
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rollin' my own 50CC Yak 54

The weather finally turned nice and got a chance to maiden the big yak and it is a keeper. No bad characteristics other than a slight pull to the canopy on knife edge which can easily be mixed out. Knife edge loops were a breeze and you could almost do no-look harriers. Flattest flat-spins I've ever seen and it 3Ds with the best of them. I am very happy with the way it turned out. It is a little more precise than version one due to the thinner airfoil. I am still getting used to the airframe but get bolder every flight. It parachutes and walls even better than the ver. 1 All up weight is 15 3/4 lbs so it has plenty of punch on pullout. I may do a ver 3. to tweak the fuse a bit but that is more for aesthetics. Sorry for the washed out pics from my camera phone but at least one of them shows the metallic red covering decently. I was very happy with how the built up cowl worked out.

No decals/spinner or any bling of any sort was put on because I didn't want to jinx it

I am working on an extra 260 by modifying my extra 300s a bit. Should be a fair bit lighter than the yak because the fuse construction is a lot simpler with less ply and more balsa stick construction. This might even turn out to be one that requires hardly any laser cutting.

Cheers,

J
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76917.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	683876   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44004.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	683877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36903.jpg