RCU Forums - View Single Post - 30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!
Old 05-17-2007, 01:24 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!

ORIGINAL: mred33

OK, I have a question. I am kind of new to electric power, but not planes. I looked up the motor you talked about on the BP web site and they say it pulls 29A with a 9X6E prop at 11.1V unless I read something wrong. At 29A and 4400mah battery, BP says you get a 9.1 min. flight time. To get around a 30 min flight, you would need to be pulling 8A or there abouts. What am I missing here. I have the Super Sportster and am going to convert it to brushless power. I already have a 4000mah battery and am going to order the motor from BP, but I still don't understand how you get 30 min flights. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just don't understand how you get that kind of time with those batteries and motor setup.
The motor CAN draw 29A with a larger prop under optimal conditions. I'm not getting anywhere near that draw with the 9X6E.

Heck even with a 11x7 I'm not approaching that.

With the 9X6E it's drawing less than half of that, and then of course you are not flying at full throttle all the time.

The plane is so fast with this combo that you spend most of the time running the motor at 50-60% throttle even performing stunts.

I've not flown it flat out until it runs out of power, but I would say that 14+ minutes of full throttle flight would be about right with that prop.

BTW: This plane is STILL going strong! Over a hundred flights on it now.