RCU Forums - View Single Post - JUST ARRIVED -- SOMENIZED YAK-54, 49" ELECTRIC
Old 05-19-2007, 01:47 PM
F4dar
My Feedback: (55)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JUST ARRIVED -- SOMENIZED YAK-54, 49" ELECTRIC

ORIGINAL: scrooks

Thanks for the advice on the GP Yak. I ended up building a new horizontal stab from scratch using a carbon spar for extra support I'm now in the process of recovering the wings and fuse bottom. Not a big fan of the clear monokote[:'(]

After reading this thread put together by Hover I kind a fell in love with this Yak. Looking forward to hearing more from him on how the thing is performing. Hover, Where are you??????[]
scrooks,
Sorry I havent been visiting the thread lately. Here is the scoop. I have now about a few 30-40 flights on this plane and here is my take on it:

- before building this plane you should go through and add few drops of CA here and there to ensure no adhesive is missing.
- The key in the way this plane flies( and any other aerobatic plane this class) is weight.
- I tried both the 3Cell 3300 and 4 cell 2700 and even though 4 cell has equivalent current supply, 3 cell pulled alot better.
- This plane flies amazingly like its bigger brothers, yak 85 (50cc gasser).. However since the weight has been reduced tremondously, I must say the fuse is not very strong and you must take extra care building and handling it. Dont want to try very scale landings with lots of speed.
- I recommend the same digital servos I used. Their response is amazing.. well worth the extra money.
- I have not build or flown the Katana M from Atlanta Hobby, However preliminary investigation, it seems like its worthy contender.
- As a rule in any class of airplane, for aerobatics, every oz of weight saved is performance gained, therefore you will get stronger fuse, but you will lose on agility and performance. It might not matter much depending on your flying style and personal preference.
- Sorry I dont have exact data about the planes you mentioned to give you an accurate comparison, but this plane as I built it came out to 54oz for 49" wing span.

Hope that answers some of your questions.
signing of for now.
jason