RCU Forums - View Single Post - Early Wen-Mac Identification
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 09:25 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Early Wen-Mac Identification

Simple and lightweight is the only approach to having one of these to fly, and the challenge does not upset me one bit. I am one to always one to try things like this. Puts the building skills to a challenge and I think its fun too.

I have been working with balsa airplanes since a boy 35 years ago or so now and its one of my favorite materials to have to work with. Amazing stuff, and having to go outside those boundries where you have to use foam or anything like that I rather not work with. I guess the only exception there that I can think of is the birch aircraft ply I use to build my rc boats with, and that cant be helped.

I've thought about going with the standard open stringer approach to the fuselages, and using silkspan but went against that idea because if I build one to fly, I think it could use the strength. In landings if anything else. I could deal with fixing a wing or tail occasionally, but when the whole fuselage cracks its another story.

It would be good to have a durable fuselage that you can always go back and work from. Starting the motor is another factor why it should stay sheeted - it would simply be less of a risk breaking during handling. I can picture one single kickback with a starting wand and the whole thing twisting into a mess.

Stefan, hang on to your blade that you made for now, and lets see how far I can get with these with my building. If it looks like I can build light enough and have enough balsa left to try a flying model we can give it a go. Let's save that for you to experiment with, and maybe more can develop from that. I'll measure up that Berkeley impeller so you can keep that with your notes. I'll even give you thrust tube measurements also, which may help.

About writing the seller about the Mk II that I posted the picture of, no help. Says it's a rummage sale item he's found and knows nothing about them. I asked for more pictures so maybe he'll return something more to chew on there, or hope someone reading can put a finger on the question.