RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito 100
Thread: Saito 100
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 PM
jwander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 100

I have been batteling this engine on a Hanger 9 Spitfire Mk. II for many hours and am just about at the point of throwing in the towel. It is impossible to get a consistent idle.

I returned the engine to Horizion to be checked out because of excessive fuel pouring out of the carb when the high end was set at the factory specs. I requested that it be tested in the same configuration as the engine was in the Spitfire. That would be inverted. I was told after it was returned that all settings were to rich and the engine ran fine. I found out later that it was tested in the upright position which proved nothing because the problem persists. I was also told that this was the only problem they have heard of. Oh. Yes I did loop the carb feed line above the top of the tank.

Does anyone have any idea what I am dealing with? I estimate my associates and myself have spent at least eight hours trying to get this engine to run. Believe it or not we have gotten one flight in. I am at the point of throwing the towel in and saying I have had enough. I have been building and flying models for sixty seven years and have never run into a problem like this.

I thought I had seen it all until I was getting ready to disassemble the plane and found the left retract was hanging up on the wheel well. Really great for a plane that had not been flown today.

I would be glad to hear from anyone who may be experiencing similar problems or has possible solutions. I am using 10% four stroke fuel and am using an OS F glow plug. No I do not have an onboard glow driver.

Horizion says I am the only one who is experiencing these problems. I find this hard to believe.

Frustrated and tired.

Jim