RCU Forums - View Single Post - Early Wen-Mac Identification
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 08:56 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Early Wen-Mac Identification

For the past folks, you need to visit the OKHerkimer web site to find out data on their old glow engines. As had been rumoured around RCU once before, sorry the firm never made an official R/C glow engine. The A/C kit as shown was sold to FOX back in 1960, but only a couple "may" have been made. For they ditched most everything that did not sell in quantity. If you are really into glow powered DF then look up the articles by P.E. Norman of the U.K. and the few by Walt Musciano of the 1970-80s. Both of which seem to be collector's items per the U.K. web forums.

Also in the past, I did up a laser cut replica of the shown Berkeley T-2-J Buckeye kit a few year ago. The kit I had to copy from was complete and new, for I bought it rigt off the shelf a $4.95 but never assembled it. But still had the PSST jet engine inside. This was swapped out with a repro Tellasco design, and is available from their web site. Much news there too as to Jet-X parts, plans, etc.

I flew my repro A/C as per original, and it went OK for maybe three flights, then with a quick breeze it veered off to left and down under power and became a write off 10 seconds after launching. Too much trouble to continue.

For the futurists, I have been doing plans for Kress Jets. Am working on a Tomcat to fit their new EDF 709E unit. Same unit as on their earlier Viggen and Eagle kits. John Kress intends to bring out a Skyray based upon the Berkeley design. The Skyray that Jet Hangar Hobbies is offering was basically an enlarged Berkeley (with a bit of Comet) design as per Larry Wolfe. The new Kress Skyray will be an enlargement of the Berkeley design, such that it fits one of their EDF units. Expect a year for this one to be built.

Wm.