RCU Forums - View Single Post - OFFICIAL SAVAGE X 4.6 FORUM
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 10:47 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OFFICIAL SAVAGE X 4.6 FORUM

I think Traxxas has HPI beat on that angle. From product to customer service and everything in-between. Traxxas is #1 in this business, HPI isn't. The Revo and Tmaxx both outsell the Savage. The Revo has been the #1 RC Car Action readers choice for monster truck year after year...prior it was the Tmaxx. Traxxas dominates the monster truck market. Traxxas includes DVDs in their kits and offers unmatched customer service. HPI only includes DVDs in their Euro kits and their customer service isn't all that great-slow to no email response and their phone line is a toll call which is always busy. Traxxas fields a factory team. Traxxas has their name everywhere. Traxxas fields a real monster truck in the Monster Jam series where there's tons of potential new customers just itching to get themselves a nitro RC. HPI doesn't have a factory team and the HPI name isn't everywhere. HPI doesn't field a truck in Monster Jam...sure they sponser The Outlaw and have an association with The Bounty Hunter, but can you see the HPI sponser decal from way up in the stands? There is room for improvement/innovation/marketing/customer service at HPI, and they are making improvements steadily, but the best is yet to come from them.

Now to pick on HPI a little with some gripes I have. Why haven't they redesigned the Savage fuel tank? What took them so long to get rid of the "small" .25 engine? Why haven't they offered a .32 engine in the Savage? Why haven't they made a center differential "trans" yet? Why haven't they made a real wheelie bar? When are they going to put some decently sized tires on the Savage?

I agree that the Savage is due for a major redesign. The basic truck hasn't changed since 2002 and by now they have had enough feedback from their customers to where they should be able to design a clean sheet truck that will still be worthy of carrying on the Savage name. I'd personally like to see a "LST style" chassis and a .32 engine with "LST sized" tires and a center diff-at least optional.