RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 06:12 PM
chipwill
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Well the Columbus IMAC is over.

It was two years ago this contest that my left eye hemmoraged and I was out of action that season, then my other eye last year. Was great to get back into IMAC flying finally.

I went into the Contest Saturday, with a grand total of 5 flights on my airframe. Didn't really do any mixing out of anything. A few clicks of trim and the plane flies straight! Saturday, we flew three rounds. The last round I took off and was making a trip pass and the motor quit, and a quick S Turn and I was on the ground safe. The ignition battery failed. I had a spare Fromeco 2400 in my box so strapped it next to the wing tube and was off again. The other ign battery was not a Fromeco.

Flew Two rounds today. First round was calm. Second round was 12-20 kt gusting winds. I almost decided to call it a day, but the wind was almost right down the runway. Worst that could happen was I could land backwards. The plane didn't really care about the wind, it just flew. Now, my wind corrections were funny at times. I ended up in 4th place. I probably would have finished 5th if one guy didn't have the most unfortunate near catostrophic event I have ever seen yesterday.

The Yak got great feedback on the field. A friend's daughter called it the Bumblebee, so now I need to find a Bee Graphic to get for it.

Looking forward to hopefully many many flights from this plane, and already considering putting my name on the list for the Big one.

Chip