RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Sethhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Thanks Tom for the link. I'm in the middle of reading Herr Engels great Fokker-Team article in WWI Aero. I can't imagine building 16 full scale replica's at once! I have a hard enough time building one or two models at a time. It's especially exciting (for this thread) to see 2 Pfalz DIII's on the list.

Hey the sponsorship idea is stunning! Never would have thought of that. I appreciate you guys thinking big but I don't think I can take the pressure!!

While the paint is drying on my fuse I thought I'd post a pic of the pilot, and where I'm going with the aileron cable connection.

The biggest challenge with the aileraon connection is the relatively small space for the connection hardware, that has to travel back and forth between two ribs. I don't want to risk it hanging up on a rib, so the length of the connector has to be pretty short.

The kevlar thread looks like it will work much better than cable, and it seems to take paint well enough to tone down the yellow color. The picture shows the centersection where the aileron servo drives a U-control bellcrank, that moves 4 "pull-rods" that exit into the lower wings. After trying various arrangements, I settled on "sideways-corkscrew" ends on the pullrods. The kevlar cables have loops on the end to twirl onto the corkscrews when the lower wing panels slide into place. Then the tension gets taken up by attaching the turnbuckles at the ailerons. Although control cable tension should keep them from unwinding, I'll probably add a zip tie through the corkscrew coils to keep the cables in place. The kevlar loops are made using a bowline knot, covered with heat shrink tube. A drop of CA keeps the kevlar fibers in the loop from fanning out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70872.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	700369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85500.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	700370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88789.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	44.9 KB