RCU Forums - View Single Post - wing stall?
Thread: wing stall?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 09:14 AM
7snakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing stall?

I have a Nexstar with a CVS cam mounted inline with the cg on the left side of the fuselage under the wing. I have it pointed to the front of the plane and the cam is mounted upright with its edge attached to the fuse. It protrudes apprx. 3 inches from the fuselage. Flight characteristics of the plane have been flyable, but challenging to say the least. Trying to bank to the left usually results in the plane failing to turn and it goes nose up into a steep climb.( Basically almost hovering) Banking to the right does not give problems. I tried to compensate by programming in down elevator with a left bank and the plane generally makes a decent left turn. Maybe it was just the wind direction or speed causing the problem? Or is the left wing stalling from the drag created by the camera? What in all likelyhood is happening? If I mount another cam in the same fashion to the right side , will I get the same failure to turn? What if I have a cam on each side? Will the effects cancel each other and I not have a problem banking, or will I not be able to bank in any direction? Could the problem be one of just cg issues laterally? I have gotten some ok footage with these cams when they are mounted flat up against the fuse videoing straight out to the sides. The plane flies fine without any cameras. It flies fine with 1 or 2 cameras on each side if they are mounted flat up against the fuse. I know it wouldn't be laterally balanced with 1 camera on the side-still it flies fine.(trying to get forward facing video) The problem arises when the cam is mounted on its edge facing forward. It is like I have no aileron response to turning left. I programmed in some down trim to the elevator when banking to the left with a switch on the tx. It seems to help considerably. Banking to the right is not a problem. I want to try forward facing cams on both sides at the same time, but am hesitant I will not be able to control seeing how the left sided mount worked. If it was a cg issue, wouldn't it present problems with the cams also mounted sideways flat up against the fuse? (no-it flew fine with 1 or 2 mounted this way. It just seems to not want to turn left and the nose rises so the plane appears headed for a stall.
Another thing I was thinking. In straight flight air moving over and under the left wing is really only being deflected on the underside by the camera. When input is given to bank left, now 2 surfaces are protruding on the left wing-a.the aileron is going up and b. the camera under the wing is down(2 projections, 1 above the wing and 1 under) The right wing only has 1 projection in the left bank and that is the aileron going down.