RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help with LG on Magnum
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Blue Skyy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with LG on Magnum

A landing gear shouldn't be a big problem for the Magnum. I understand why you bought a Magnum... It's a great looking prop plane!

I would stay with a flat aluminum main gear as opposed to the wire type. You can cut a lot of the weight out of the flat metal by making it a lot narrower than the heavy piece most come as. Then shape the gear into an airfoil shape. Round the front, Sharp at the rear. Then just put in place a 1/4" lite ply mount into the wing just behind the CG of the wing. I have done this on a number of planes similar to the Magnum so it becomes more of a sport plane.

For the nose gear, get a fiber motor mount for your engine that has the nose gear setup for a 90 degree turn on the motor and attach it in the normal manner. You can buy aluminum airfoil shaped material to slide over the strut before setting up the nose wheel. JB weld it in place for lower drag. I typically use 2.25" wheels on the mains and a 2" on the nose wheel.

You will still be passing every other prop plane on the field even with a landing gear if you have a strong engine. Plus you can shoot touch and goes with your Magnum. How many other Magnum pilots have done this... Actually I have seen a couple do it. Not pretty!

Blue Skyy