RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1 speed or 2?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 AM
griz11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1 speed or 2?

I use the standard Mugen flywheels. I had one lightened up a bit. Yea you need all the gears they make. And a wrench to get the pinions off the clutchbell unless you like to bleed. Mugen makes one but its a bit pricy. Unlike the electric cars nitros are very sensitive to the atmospheric conditions. Especially after they have been heavily modified. So you need to be able to change the gearing to suit the power you can get out of the motor on a given day. Get a clutch shoe lapper from Walbern as well. You aren't going to have any warm up laps or be running for 10-15 minutes at a time and you need to have that clutch shoe broken in and ready to go immediatly. A lapper will do that for you. The standard spring will work great. I've tried them all and always came back to the stock spring. Drill out the flyweights. Two holes in each one to make them lighter. Get a flanged bearing for the front of the clutchbell to keep it from moving around when it hits the shoe as well. It's actually better to have both the clutch bell bearings flanged but that requires modifying the nut and I never messed with it. Use the 6ft time to judge how well your settings are working. Get a lightweight clutchbell lightweight gear housings for the 2speed as well. The best bearings you can afford. I had good luck with Avid bearings. At a buck apiece you can change them frequently and not break the bank. Another thing I really go for is smoothness of the whole drive train. Sometimes you need to relieve the holes the bearings fit in until the bearings fit just right not too tight not too loose to get the smoothest operation. When its set up right you should be able to spin the rear wheel easily and it should spin for a lot longer than an on-road car for instance. Drag racing is preparation carried out to the nth degree. The cars look very simple but they aren't. Especially the nitro cars. Get on the internet and find out all you can about how atmospheric conditions can affect your performance and how to tune for the various conditions. For instance it gets really humid and hot here in the summer. A lot of times its too humid to get the nitro to light up completly so you lower the nitro percentage on those days. Plugs you need all of the heat ranges and you might use several in a day. I like the Novarossi plugs becuase there is a finer gap between them heat wise. Learn about deck height and how that affects timing of the engine. Plug type + deck height + nitro % = timing. You don't have to get to this extreme to have fun drag racing but if you are shooting for one of the national titles you are going to have to know all this and a lot more.

Griz