RCU Forums - View Single Post - Troubling observations about brushless . . .
Old 06-26-2007, 04:10 PM
rdbruski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubling observations about brushless . . .

The power of brushless in a toy sized package is a wonderful thing. While watching videos of brushless trucks, I'll admit, I have a grin on my face the whole time. I plan on converting my T-maxx 3.3 to brushless. However, a little bit of the infatuation is wearing off about brushless and I'm seeing things a different way now.

Virtually ALL the videos I've seen shows the awesome power of a brushless truck with its front wheels off the ground most of the time and many times the truck on its tail or back and out of control. At first, the power monger in me wants to build a powerful monster brushless truck with all that power. On the other hand, I remember how fun my T-maxx 3.3 nitro was when I had it running. The front end rarely came off the ground and all 4 wheels were down, steering and in control. It didn't have the speed or torque the brushless trucks have, but you could actually bash and steer with it which to me is more fun! I've only seen maybe 1-2 video's out of DOZENS where a brushless guy is actually playing with his truck in a way it is actually in control and having fun.

To me, the overpowered brushless trucks do not look fun at all. I plan on playing with my brushless T-maxx with my young son. From what I've seen, he'd not have the dexterity to run a brushless, much less me.

Can you help me understand what I can do to go brushless with my T-maxx but still make it be fun?

From what I've read, there are several factors producing this out-of-control scenario. Tell me if I have this right . . . 1) Over powerful battery/motor combination for the weight of the truck. 2) Poor front end weight dynamics. 3) Incorrect gear ratios. 4) No chassis tilt.

1 - I understand the wheel popping is from the massive torque from brushless motors. Are people just buying over large batteries/motors supplying too much torque?

2 - Wouldn't added front end weight help to keep the nose down? How about mounting the batteries in the front? I have an RC Solutions roll cage, so battery damage won't be an issue for me.

3 - I know gearing can have an impact. Wouldn't you want a gearing strategy to produce less low end torque to keep the front on the ground?

4- On my T-maxx 3.3, I bought some really nice Nova RC shock towers and the Big Bore shocks. I mounted the shocks in the back so that the back was considerably higher. Then, when I'd take off, the back end would squat down as normal, but instead of lifting the front end, it now would run level. Is this a good strategy for brushless power also?

Wouldn't these changes be better on the drivetrain also?

Have I just removed all the benefits of lipo by engineering them back out?

I have to believe there is a way to have the power of brushless, but keep the wheels on the ground and your truck in control.

Honestly, I think what we are seeing is a maturity process in the brushless RC truck area. Ya, for now its kool, but all that un-controlled power is going to get old really quick and people will start engineering control into their designes.

Let me know what you think.