RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??
Old 07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
johndou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??

The only way to avoid a midair is to fly when no one else is in the air. Seeing and avoiding each other while sport flying at your local club field is virtually impossible. Having a spotter every time you go up is not practical.

I don’t want to sound cavalier about this but saying that “…every pilot has a responsibility to (do) everything in their power to avoid mid air collisions.” Takes the focus away from where it belongs. I can think of a whole lot of things that RC pilots need to do everything in their power to avoid and mid-airs are not even in the top 10. Protecting yourself, your flying buddies, the public at large, property, etc. comes to mind a whole lot sooner then avoiding a midair.

If we were talking airplanes with people in them (I hate to say it but “real” airplanes) I couldn’t agree more … but, these are model airplanes, vary small (in most cases), traveling at a high rate of speed (in most cases), in a liquid, variable medium, controlled from a distance that does not render clear or precise depth perception, using old technology radio equipment (in most cases)... To place fault or blame on someone for what would be a rare occurrence, if you actually tried to do it. Is just plain wrong, mean spirited and goes against the whole idea of what this sport (or hobby) is all about.