RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bad luck with Magnum NX - Need help
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 03:54 PM
RobertMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad luck with Magnum NX - Need help

Finally some progress!!

I tried insulating the wires going from reciever to the 2 servoes. I used the metal wire insulation which is found on other wires and pulled it over the 2 wires. Wasn't very presise work. Just to test.

I immidiately saw change. When I turned on the car there was absolutely no sound (transmitter off). This doesn't usually happen and I normally hear the servoes twitching. But now complete silence.
At first I though the battery was disconnected, but once I turned the transmitter on the servoes went straight to neutral. (Small victory dance performed)

I then set up the car on a small podium so the wheels could turn freely and I started walking away from the car. I reached about double range of any previous attempt!
And the best part is when I started loosing connection I could hear the servoes twitching, but if I raised the antenna as high up in the air as I could the car behaved again!
It could never do that earlier. When I cost connection I often had to be within 1 meter between transmitter and reciever to get connection back. But not anymore!!
My range was about 25-30 meters and I hope the cause of that is the low voltage on the transmitter. The display reads 10.2V and I am using 2500mA rechargable batteries which are new and only charged once. I heard they will become better once discharged and charged again. (But others told me to use alcaline, since they have higher voltage)

Next stage!
So now ill create 2 new insulation wires for the 2 servo wires and try connecting those to the - on the battery, which should improve performance even more.
A very small modification and I should be up and running!

I imagined this hobby would involve loads of cleaning the little car and taking it apart, just to put it back together. I didn't thing I had to become an expert in electrical interferance!