RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pattern Ships from the "Golden Age"
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pattern Ships from the "Golden Age"

Hi Ed:
I do agree with the statement about designs that were sorta pattern not being worth the time and effort for a full fledged thrash and trim sessions but sometimes just the nostalgia brings back good times. I got a chance to fly Phil's Tailgater at Sherwood Island in CT once and it was a real nice plane. It flew smooth and predictable. We also had a good friend who we flew with since our teens who lived in Westerly RI. We flew RC and UC for years when in the early ninties he became very ill with cancer. He had built an Escapade and wanted to see it fly but was unable to make the trip to our club field so his wife got permission to use the third hole fairway of the local golf course which was next to his house. The plane had an HP 61 PDP and WE 7 expert radio. Took off and a couple of trim passes then right into nice 4 points and round and square insides and outsides. After landing he told us that he smiled for the whole 7 minutes. He passed away the next week. I for one would love to fly an Escapade in an SPA meet. Might smile as much as he did. We all have a bunch of NSRCA trophies and now we are ready to do some smilin- flyin.

Peace

Mark O'Connell
Oakdale, CT
SPA 337