RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mode 1 mode 2 need help
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Vortexgen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mode 1 mode 2 need help

hi north,
the practical reasons of mode 1 over mode 2 are...
1. more people in the area fly mode 1 so they feel more comfortable flying the same style as the rest of the locals.
2. if you have flown aircraft mode 1, fly the choppers the same.
3. mode 1 (arguably) offers easier control over the cyclic function as you control cyclic with both hands. (split the cyclic, pitch on one hand, roll on the other). apparently this can make hovering easier and give more precise stability (makes some sense, but not all world champs are mode 1)
4. most practical reason, it makes sense to YOU and YOU are comfortable flying this way.

the practical reasons of mode 2 over mode 1 are...
1. more people in the area fly mode 2 so they feel more comfortable flying the same style as the rest of the locals
2. you are a helicopter pilot, involved in helicopters, or relate to having the cyclic function operating on one hand (as opposed to two) as if piloting the RC heli. (this is the reason i chose mode 2, having never flown RC aircraft, having the cyclic in one hand as if i was the pilot just made more sense to me. the guys i fly with all fly mode 1. this has never had an adverse affect on my learning, the radio setup procedure is the same, they just will have to use the trainer cord to trim/setup your machine)
3. most practical reason, it makes sense to YOU and YOU are comfortable flying this way.

in short, its simply whatever you relate to, prefer, comprehend better, or feel more coordinated with.

try them both on the sim... youll soon feel good about one or the other.