RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which Aircraft Module System is Better, Spektrum or Xtremelink
Old 07-20-2007, 08:17 AM
DavKhy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Aircraft Module System is Better, Spektrum or Xtremelink

I have both systems, Spektrum and Xtremelink. Ihave about 100 flights on my Xtremelink system and have had no problems. Range is unbelieveably far. The Xtremelink module system beats Spektrum by a mile. Xtremeline changes frequencies if interference is encountered, the receiver is bi-directioinal which means that the receiver talks to the transmitter, this is used for the telemitry coming in the future, and for other communition to the transmitter. Best thing is that I don't have to spend $700 on a 2.4 JR9303. The XPS module for my 9303 was $189 for transmitter module including an 8 channel receiver. Receiver is smaller than my 149 Futaba PCM receiver for my 9Z. Another plus for XPS is that they have a forum on RCGroups and the head man at XPS Jim Drew is always on the forum answering questions from forum users. That is great customer service. RCGroups/Vendors/XtremePowerSystem.

Now Spektrum, I have the DX7, I have read the posts about the voltage issues and do not want to expose any of my planes to the possibility of getting lock out while in the air and have to wait seconds for the receiver to reboot. The reboot of the Spektrum I read is several seconds where the reboot for XPS is around .4 ms. Another issue are the servos that come with the DX7 - 821's. I have seen many 821 users break the output shaft on the servos. Several helicopter users, at my field, have had the output shaft break in the air, resulting in Raptor 30 crashes. I have also see some brand new 821 servos break output shafts on the first outing on an airplane, while range testing, before first flight. One other issure I do not care for is that I have read that Spektrum uses a linear voltage regulator that actually wastes energy(turns into heat) to drop voltage down where needed, in the transmitter. This heats up the circuit board in the area around the regulator. I'm no electronics expert but I do know that heat and electronics do not do well together. There is a modification to change the linear reglator to a switching type regulator. This mod will cost $15.00 and will increase battery life by almost 1/2(See RunRyder - Spektrum DX6 & DX7 forum. Not sure about what the change will do with the warranty, but based on these observations, I have come to the conclusion that Spektrum was trying to spend as little as possible to get this system on the market.

Well this is my experience and I hope you will use this information to help you make your decision.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74812.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	726811