RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do we have outlandish fees to join AMA clubs?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do we have outlandish fees to join AMA clubs?

ORIGINAL: John Casey

When we signed up to be AMA chartered clubs
we agreed to "promote model aviation".

So why do we make it so expensive to "GET IN" to our clubs and our hobby?
That seems a little silly to put up such a monetary obstruction if
we really are trying to get the hobby/sport to GROW.

Is that not in countradiction to what we are supposed to be doing.....promoting model aviation?

We don't have to run things like 24 hour nautilus.......do we?
How did we get roped into doing it that way?

If we make it less expensive to join our clubs,
it will be easier to build the membership, grow the hobby, the treasuries.... then
buy land, build more flying sites, get more members, buy more land.... build more flying sites......and on and on.

Frankly, I think most clubs fees are too low. Land to fly on costs money. Many clubs are losing their fields due to not owning their own land, and the developers buy it. The members who wanted only low fees were too STUPID and CHEAP to think about the future.

The local country clubs cost $20000 and up just for initiation fees. A local round of golf outside a club is around $70.00 +/-. And that is after you have to spend $800 on the clubs, $150 on a bag, and $80 on shoes. Oh, and let's not forget the balls, tees, glove, etc.

My local RC clubs average $50.00 initiation, $50.00 anuual dues, and rely on one or two people (the same ones usually) to maintain the fields for free...so everyone else can fly.

Try keeping a boat at a marina.

RC is a downright bargain compared to just about anything else out there.