RCU Forums - View Single Post - CMP Yak 54
Thread: CMP Yak 54
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Yak 54

I trimmed the two tubs out of the cockpit but left the center support in place. Next, I cut 6, 1/4" pieces of ply and drilled for 4-40 blind nuts. Once the blind nuts were inserted, I used thick CA and glued to the inside lip around the canopy cutout. Drilled six holes through both the tinted canopy and the cockpit frame. 6, 4-40 bolts and washers later, VIOLA! This is the same technique used on my old Goldberg Sukhoi 26MX.

I've made quite a few changes getting the YAK flight ready, (again). I got the airframe from a buddy for selling some motorcycle parts for him on eBay. He flew it stock with a Saito 120, declared it a sled and moved on to other airplanes. He had dinged it slightly so I had to purchase a replacement cowling from Nitro, (fast, friendly and CHEAP).

A few things I've done to overcome that heavy, molded fiberglass ass-end:
1) replaced the dual landing gear legs with a surplus Goldberg Sukhoi gear. 14 oz with axels. mounted a 3/8" ply plate inside of the fuse to thread the 1/4-20 nylons into.
2) removed the solid dowel pushrods with 2-56 threaded rods. ran Sullivan carbon fiber-reinforced Ny-rod pushrods for the dual elevator servos.
3) fabricated dual ply servo trays and inserted higher and as far forward on either side of the fuel tank as possible.
4) using GWS standard, high torque servos. at almost 3.5 oz each, mounted ahead of the CG.
5) installed a Saito 150 bolted to a 3/4" ply plate to move as far forward as possible.
6) placed the Hitech 605BBMG rudder servo with wire pull-pulls into the center position on the stock tray.

I have to admit, I've offset some of this by installing a CB Associates tailwheel assembly with a 1/4" mount plate to the rear underside along with a DuBro dual rudder horn. We'll see as things progress.

I'll try to post a few photos next time.

PM