RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help with aileron differential
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2003, 06:29 PM
mulligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with aileron differential

Originally posted by Chuckr53
I have a Futaba 8 channel radio and I can't set up differential unless both aileron servos each have their own channel...1 and 5 for example, so a Y-harness doesn't work for me.

The differential is setup so that both ailerons go up a greater amount than they go down so that when in a turn the "up" aileron creates more drag than the "down" aileron. This pulls the low wing thru the turn faster than the up wing...a coordinated turn. If you're setting up both ailerons to go both up and down 1/2" then your not getting the benefit of differential.

I have a TT Slow Cub .25 size with the differential setup so that the ailerons go up 5/8" and down 3/8". Each model will be different.

To get coordinated turns, I like setting up differential more than mixing some rudder deflection with the ailerons.

You don't NEED a computer radio to set up differential- it can be done with ailerons on the same channel by setting up the geometry of the linkage.

Normally, the servo arm is perpendicular to the control rod when the control surface is in the nominal position. If you lengthen/shorten the control rod such that the servo arm is NOT perpendicular when the control surface is at the nominal position, you will create differential throws.

I always do this on throttles. I make the control rod a little longer than would be if the servo arm were perpendicular at mid-throttle. This gives a little better control at lower throttle settings, and faster response at high throttle where the engine responds less to throttle changes.

- George