RCU Forums - View Single Post - Black Magic VF3 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 05:03 PM
handglider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Magic VF3 Build Thread

Hello Everybody,

I've got a few questions for you all - Do you like to build your own airplanes? Do you want to fly one of the most "state-of-the-art" 2m FAI pattern ships? Do you take pride in your own craftsmanship? Are you concerned about customer service and quick replacement parts? Do you feel your building skills might not be up to snuff and your looking for a confidence building project? Are you tired of paying just way to much? Maybe you just want to build the best new Pattern Ship for 2007?

Look no further, the Black Magic VF3 is ready and it's for YOU!

By now it's almost old news, Mike Hester's Black Magic VF3 is here and it's for real. He created this new design with a total focus on the new FAI schedules and put it all together in a complete laser and cnc cut kit. Yes it shares the same basic look and outlines of the V2, but totally refined and improved in both flying and building qualities. This new design has improved stability in gusty wind conditions, excellent rolling abilities and a powerful rudder. A high profile fuselage with a whole lot of side area makes this plane stand apart from the typical design. All that with very very low, almost zero mixes.

Arch Stafford started testing the prototype VF3x a couple months before Nats and only took delivery on his personal plane the weekend before Nats. With less than 30 flights on his primary ship he took a solid 2nd in Masters at the 2007 Nats winning 5 out of 6 prelim rounds and was just edged out during the finals. Mike and Arch also feel that this plane may be the ideal weapon for all classes from sportsman's on up to FAI, it's just that good. I've never seen TRUE 6 sided knife edge loops ever done before, this plane makes it look too easy.

Mike is currently shipping kits, from a low-cost basic package to a full blown, sheeted, carbon, all options kit. All with very reasonable pricing, check his website for more info at http://www.customairframes.com/.

One other thing, yes even a "Caveman could build a Black Magic" (sorry I just had to steal that)

Also for more background check these other links on RCU.

Coming this summer: Black Magic VF3 - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5663815/tm.htm

Black Magic VF3 E build thread! - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6156814/tm.htm

Black Magic v2 builder's thread! *Updated* - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3640864/tm.htm

Why am I doing this thread?

I guess most of the RCU Pattern regulars know me by now. I am a good friend of Mikes, live about 20 mins. from his shop and I like to BUILD my own planes. In the past year I have built or building four V2s, two vf3s, and painted a number of Black Magics. I spent most of the last year improving my shop and equipment, that included purchasing a professional vinyl cutter, spray guns, air brushes, etc etc... I've also built a number of fixture jigs and I think I was one of the first guys to use lasers in the building process. I have tried to push my own abilities and knowledge in the shop. Many of you have seen some of the results of my work at this years Nats.

I really enjoy working in the shop, so much so that it actually interferes with my practice time. Talking about finding a balance, sometimes it's tough, but I think building is my personal therapy, or maybe I am just crazy like that. You guys that know me might understand, I can get a lot of enjoyment from just sanding a piece of balsa wood.

So let's build a Black Magic VF3. We are going to start with the fuselage.

So grab a VF3 kit, clear off the bench and let's get started.

I hope you all enjoy the process,

Dean Funk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95188.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	733162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84447.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	733163