RCU Forums - View Single Post - $100 engines? Which one? Tower, GMS, ?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: $100 engines? Which one? Tower, GMS, ?

ORIGINAL: dashunde
I'm reading all over here that the Tower's scream, but have goofy/burbling carbs? Thats what I am gleening from it at this point anyway.
Thats BS.

The TH .75 has a great carb.

The guys complaining about "burbling" carbs haven't bothered to spend 15 minutes actually adjusting the low end properly. The engines are almost always rich from the factory and need to be adjusted for your prop, altitude, fuel and temperature. The carb has needles for a reason--so you can adjust the engine for best performance.

I've never had a problem with a TH .75 carb. I currently own 3 TH .75 engines and have had, at one point, 8 of those engines in my fleet. They work great at all RPM ranges. You just need to tune the low speed needle. Anybody can tune the high speed needle and then complain that it won't idle or transition smoothly. But, truth be told, those guys didn't bother to adjust the low speed needle. So, that makes it a bad carb. B.S.

If you just spend 15 minutes adjusting the low speed needle, they will run like a Swiss watch.

The low speed needle effects the ENTIRE RPM range, from idle up to well over 1/2 throttle. If your not going to bother with adjusting the low speed needle, expect it to run like crap below 1/2 throttle. It takes only minor adjustments to tweak that low speed needle for perfection after you get it close to the sweet spot. The thickness of a screwdriver blade either way will have an effect on how it runs.

Best kept secret in the hobby for under $100.