RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST 6

Futaba's downside could be the lack of satellite receivers. I just won a Spectrum DX-7 at a local jet rally and plan to use it in a PST Panther. Previously I've only ever flown Futaba. All my jets are on a 9C super with synth module, having graduated from an 8U a few years ago.

Comparing jets to big gassers and other models may be some merit, but what we need is a firm answer on the ability for a 2.4 gig signal to transmit through a ~3L fuel tank full of kerosene. That may be an ‘Achilles heel’...

Now, I'm totally new to 2.4 and learning as much as I can now that I've got my feet wet with my first radio. The 1st thing I did was run out and grab the 24" satellite receiver lead and a voltage stabilising capacitor. With the 24” lead one can locate the 2nd receiver on the opposite side of the fuel tank very easily... The stock 6” lead won’t do this very well at all. The apparent voltage issue can be avoided with the capacitor and suitably sized batteries as I understand it. I like what Futaba's done in terms of the frequency hopping technique, but I suspect the remote receiver option may be a more valuable design feature. If anyone speaks with a Futaba rep, please ask them what effect a very large kerosene fuel tank has and if there is any disruption in the 3D envelope of reception quality. I’d love to know the answer, since I would certainly like to stay with Futaba with all my radio gear.

Later’
Kelly