RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do I need to move on?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 05:54 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do I need to move on?

ORIGINAL: RussianFlyer

I just moved up from my LT-40 to a Sig Somethin' Extra and it went very smooth. My LT-40 is converted to a tail dragger with a CG set at the suggested intermediate point. Before moving to the SSE, I got the LT-40 to do stall turns, loops, cuban eights, sustained inverted flight, spins, and some other basic maneuvers. So as far as "stunts" go, a trainer is capable of quite a bit if you move the CG slightly back (within the recommended range) and experiment with larger throws. Try that while you are putting your Kaos together, and you will probably be able to judge for yourself just how well you can handle a more aerobatic model (i.e. your good old trainer ) The Kaos will probably be a good step up after this, and you'll be more accustomed to quicker control response. Before taking my SSE out for the first time, I made sure to dial the control throws down a good bit to prevent overcontrolling it. You may not need to do that with the Kaos since its not a fun-fly model. HTH
I'm at the same point with my LT-40 w/TT 46 Pro. Flew it a total of 8 flights yesterday doing hammerheads, slow rolls, flying inverted the length of the field, figure 8's and spot landings. I was doing full up elevator takeoffs at about half throttle. The nose would come up almost immediately and I'd roll down the runway where it'd lift off about halfway down. Easy way of getting a trike gear model to act like a tail dragger.

I moved our CG back to the middle 30% (3-7/8" behind LE). Training CG is 27% or 3-1/2" behind LE. I also bumped up our rates a bit and dialed down the exponential to -15% from the -25% it was set at originally. I also started out with some Ch4 (rudder) mixed into Ch1 (ailerons) but took that out since I need to manually learn to use the rudder more.

Our "move-up" ship is almost ready to go. An H9 UltraStick 40 w/Saito 62 and quad flap arrangement (good excuse to acquire a Futaba 9CAPs radio) should serve us well. I also have a Sig SE kit still in the box which is tempting (build me, build me, build me!). May have to slow down a bit since I own 11 Futaba S3004 servos, T6XA and T9C transmitters, R319DPS, R138DP and R127DF receivers.