RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do I need to move on?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do I need to move on?

ORIGINAL: chopper man

After reading everyones advise I started taking a look at my trainer. The ailerions were set at the low rate. I now have them set at dual rate. Other than what might be the ovious with bigger throws, what might I expect on my first flight with that setting? Do I need to adjust the elevator to get more throw?
Thanks
chopper man
The general trim for ailerons is to rig them so that your airplane will do about a roll per second. Needless to say, non-aerobatic types aren't expected to toe that line, and some of the aerobatic types stomp that rate. So how do you do it?

There is a basic setup that experienced modelers start with. Rig the pushrod from the closest in hole on the servo arm to the fartherst out hole on the surface's control horn. If that doesn't give you the 1sec/roll rate (or whatever you're shooting for), you move the connection in one hole on the horn. If that doesn't work, move it out one hole on the servo arm. If not, in on the horn, out on the arm, in on the horn, out on the arm etc etc. You want to do all the initial setup on the airplane. Have your radio setup for 100% throw for high rate and something like 60% for low rate. Do all the timing of the roll rate while flying on full rates. Leave your radio alone. Lots of reasons why.

As for the elevator...........
Rig the elevator the same starting setup as the ailerons. Same reasons (which weren't given as they're explained all over the place). The elevator should be trimmed at high rates to be able to be able to turn the airplane in a pitchup that would work for a square loop. Don't know what that is? Ask an expert at the field to show you one. If he is, he can show you. For aerobatic airplanes, lots of flyers trim the high rate elevator throw to be able to just stall the wing at full throw. If it can stall the wing at less, they reduce the throw until it won't and then increase it back a touch. And then their elevator low rate will be very safe for things that don't require stalling the wing. Like landing.

Do you need to adjust the elevator for more throw? Only you can answer that by flying and trying.