RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redcat Monsoon Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 01:01 PM
lsurber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcats Monsoon Thread

Well, I finally got the Monsoon!

First thing I did was break in the engine! It showed no signs of particles at all during the breakin and temps did not go higher than 200 degrees. I believe this engine is gonna be another great mod project!

MECHANICAL DESIGN PROS:

The truck itself is is nicely designed! All the hinge pin braces, chassis braces, and motor mount are very nicely machined billet. The brake cams and steering bellcrank are ball bearing supported! All differentials are filled with silicone. All hinge pins are captured! The battery/reciever box is very nice and pretty much water tight! The manifold and pipe are very nice and highly polished! The wing mount is very heavy duty with aluminum cross-bracing and the wing is easily detached with body pin clips.

MECHANICAL DESIGN CONS:

The control arms are beefy but more flexible than I like. Minimal flex in suspension parts makes for better tuning! The best combination of durability and performance is the PBS system and I will change the suspension to that! The engine mount is nice but the engine sits so high that a starter box wheel could never contact the flywheel.

QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES:

The long trip from China caused surface rust on one of the tie-rods and 2 of the brake pad guide posts. This is no big deal and was removed no problems BUT a thin film of oil to prevent rust would be smart! Not a drop of loctite was used anywhere in the build, so check things over very carefully. Some of the bearings feel notchy and are probably going to need replacing but this is no big deal! I'll just go buy a whole sleeve of them for 2$ each at my LHS! The fuel tank actually touches the exhaust!!!!!!! A real NO NO! A simple adjustment will give enough clearance though! The differentials were all binding and needed shimming.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

This truck is a bargain at $279 but needs to be totally gone through before you run it!