RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best scale photo!
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best scale photo!

ORIGINAL: sebo
This thread is not so much about model aircraft as it is about photography skills.
Very few of the photos in this thread really work AS PHOTOGRAPHS. Most rely primarily on the quality of the OBJECT OF THE PHOTOGRAPH. The craft here is perhaps similar to the task of photographing a work of art. It is the photographer's job to take the very best photo possible, a photo that will show the "object de art" off to its best -- and yet not overpower the art of the object to make an artistic statement of its own.

I'm reminded of a story. I was once serving as the judge for a student photography competition in the Sultanate of Oman. One visitor to the exhibition stood transfixed in front of one particular photo of a camel. It was a technically competent side view, in focus and correctly exposed. But there was nothing whatsoever artistic or creative or invocative about the shot. It was just a camel standing dead center in the frame. So I asked him why he found this particular photo so enthralling -- to which he answered: "That is a VERY expensive camel!"