RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Extra 300S .40
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2002, 09:29 AM
MiL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Extra 300S .40

Well, i got my kit, and have made payment on a Saito .72 (found on these very forums, thanks RCU!) and am expecting it next week.

I've got the tail surfaces and the wing built and am about half way through the fuse. I'm expecting it to take me a long time to cover the plane since this is my first kit and i'll probably go through a fair amount of trial and error on covering techniques.

I decided to build this plane exactly by the book and the only place i deviated so far is in adding some bracing under the wing sheeting in the first 2 rib bays because that is where i often pick up a plane and i dont want to break through the sheeting. I also added a little reinforcement to the lower front bulkhead, and the LG brackets.

What about the tailwheel bracket? I'm not sure i like the design here. It looks like it could put some stress on the hinges during impact and while just sitting. Also, there's no 'give' in the system, and it looks like it could cause damage to the servo if landing with the rudder deflected for a cross wind or something.

I think i may switch to a bracket i've seen that bolts to the bottom of the fuse to support the weight, and uses springs attached to control horns on the rudder for turning. That way the weight is off the hinges, and there are springs to absorb sudden shocks instead of little tiny plastic gears stripping in my servos.

Have any of you had any problems with the stock tailwheel?

Troy