RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/3rd scale Sopwith Triplane
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/3rd scale Sopwith Triplane

Well, how about an update? I have no pictures although I wish I had my camera handy as my wife and I hung the assembled plane from a fish scale attached to the ceiling [:'(]
The total weight minus the tail feathers (Engine, radio gear, gas tank, cowl, landing gear, etc etc) is 21lbs. I am hoping to complete the plane under 30 so this is very good news. I don't know how much the solartex will add to the weight but the tail feathers and hardware should only add 8-12 ozs. Paint, details, pilot, etc will add a bit more so I really think I can make the 30lb limit.

Added the flying wires on both sides, and am now working on getting the wings to be at the correct incidence when I bolt them on to the fuse. Gave myself a heart attack earlier when I found the center of the top wing was at -10 degrees while the wingtips were at +2!!! Then I noticed that I had forgetten to drill the lower bolt on the cabane mounts and it had pivoted, whew!

I have yet to complete the lower wing, it needs sheer webs, and the ailerons cut out and fitted along with the wingtips. The top wing also needs ailerons cut and fitted. I also need to mount the servos in the lower wing but am waiting thier arrival from Hobby People.net. I picked up several 108oz (@6v) metal geared servos. This (IMHO) is overkill but better safe than crying over a bag of balsa chips (Known in my household as kindling on a cold winter night) These will add a bit to the weight also but hopefully not more than 12-16oz total.

My wife and daughter have both made me promise that they could be there when I do the maiden (a week, maybe two as I like to fly them before spending ALOT of time doing details), I am pretty sure that they will be handy helping me to pick up the pieces.

Thats all for now, tune in next time to the same Bat Time same Bat Channel. (KaH-POW)