RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Gold Edition DC - 3
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 05:31 PM
eniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Gold Edition DC - 3

Wow, I got through that whole RCScaleBuilder thread yesterday, and man was that discouraging. Considering this is the 'winter project' this year, I'm second guessing building the thing. I expect it to take 10 months to a year with some level of scale class, I sure hope I don't run into the same 'pitch up on takeoff' problem. Is there some kind of incidence issue that is causing pitch-ups? I had planned on using the same RCV58 engines as the one on rcscalebuilder, but considering they do want to be mounted off center, that might throw off the balance just enough.

I'm a pretty good pilot so far (5 years, 2 lost planes due to crashes, most of my planes just get a little worn out so I take them out of service), and take my time on takeoffs to get up speed and control before letting the bird takeoff, but is this plane so difficult to fly its a guaranteed junker? I've only lost one of my (5,6 so far?) kit builds, and that was due to me yanking it off the ground in the early days before I fully understood the value of gaining speed (the other crash was an embarrassing taxi error on a crappy ARF...hit a bump and she was airborn without any airspeed). I'm pretty proud of my landings though, nice and easy!

I also see that thread is from a few years ago, have there been any changes to the kit since 2004 (I think that was when it was built). I'd sure hate to have go through the same the heartache by brutally crashing on maiden.

RCDon's is much more encouraging, but I'm still second guessing this plane. I have little time to build, and I kinda expect my planes to at least get through the maiden by getting it built strait and all balanced up nice.

I guess I should just go for it and hope for the best. I'm more or less in the same boat as BOLT, so yeah, any notes are great.

eniac