RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bob Dively Nuthin' Honey bipe
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob Dively Nuthin' Honey bipe

Last year, I picked this kit up off eBAY and set it aside. After assembling several CG Sukhoi 26MX ARF's, YAK 54 and other larger models I decided to put an old Italian Super Tigre 40 back into the air.

Interestingly enough, the BD website indicates that all but 1 or 2 kits in his line are "discontinued" until further notice?!
(http://www.bobdivelymodels.com/2.htm) Fortunately, I have mine, lol...

This little bipe retails(ed) for $149.95. The plans and construction pamphlet are basic and provide no photos, workarounds or advice. It's stated right up front that they assume this not to be one's 1st RC balsa kit.

I immediately discovered my 1st issue with the kit when comparing the rolled plans to the 1st construction step. The directions indicate to allow a 1/4" space for the ply firewall, F-1, when laminating the ply fuselage doublers. Uh-huh. Can't happen. The doubler must mount flush to the front of 1/8" balsa sides in order to align the upper wing cabanes and lower wing saddle. If one is to follow the instructions properly, that 1/4" will have to be trimmed off both ply doublers BEFORE laminating them. I chose not to do so and simply lined 'em up and epoxied them together. Using a triangle, I assured a square glue joint and installed the firewall and reinforcing stock.

After installing F2 and F4, I flipped everything over and adhered the other fuselage side, insuring everthing was again, squared up.

As I progress through construction, I'll post a few photos. However, I will share my impressions on this very 1st Bob Dively kit that I've built.

I'm extremely pleased that I spent NOWHERE near $150. for this kit. If I had, I would be severely disappointed with the investment.
The $46.00 I DID spend is a great value and re-affirms my faith in the ability to get great deals off the Internet.

The kit is complete but sparse in detail. If I were the manufacturer, I'd retail it for $89.95. $150 buys a whole lot more than what greets the eye when opening this carton. But seeing as how the line appears to be defunct, it's a moot point. :-)

So, my 1st 2 hours saw the primary fuselage assembled with the blind nuts installed for the .40 Super Tiger.

Did I mention the bipe has foam cores? No? Well, it does and these will be detailed coming up.

Stay tuned....

PM

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77999.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	751284