RCU Forums - View Single Post - gws E-starter review
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 04:25 PM
pc_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gws E-starter review

First off is the things I don't like about the kit.
1. Cutting the ailerons out was messy, that could be improved.
2. The whimpy landing gears.

That's it. that was all the negatives I could find.

Now for the good stuff.

This airplane was as easy to build as the beaver. I noticed that the rudder moved freely without being cut off so I just reinforced it with some tape and left it attached. I also noticed that there were 2 landing gear slots on the bottom of the airplane, so I glued the two gear holders in and created a tricycle landing gear setup like a cessna aircraft (after all, this does look like a cessna).
This meant I didn't have a steerable tail wheel but the airplane still turned on the ground using the rudder (the same way it would if you had floats instead of wheels).
I also added clear packing tape to the underside of the airplane for added strength.

With the mixed reviews I saw about this airplane I wanted to ROG on the maiden rather than hand launch. Most problems can be picked up on a ROG before too much damage is done.

With that in mind I went to the field. the ground was still soft, so ROG was ruled out. Anyway I powered up the airplane almost jumped out of my hand. Immediately I new this had more power than the mustang did. With a slight toss the E-starter was off and flying. No trimming was necessary and at full throttle it gained altitude agressively.
I throttled back to half and it was still gaining altitude (it was not tail heavy, balanced perfectly). It was then that I remembered that the beaver behaves the same way and I reduced the throttle even more. At about 1/3 throttle it settled into level flight and it looked absolutley awesome in the air.

At full throttle it is fast but at 1/3 throttle it just scoots along slowly. It glides very well so landing it was not a problem. I kept a little power and just settled it nicely on the tricycle gear.

I wouldn't recommend this to a complete newbie to rc airplanes, it is fast at full throttle and can get very far away quickly, but it is definately a first aileron airplane. If you can fly the beaver or you have some rudder, elevator experience you can build and fly the e-starter.

Setup

E-starter
GWS dream starter radio kit
15 amp esc (overkill)
6 cell AA 600mah NICD pack

Flight duration was about 6-7 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	63898_20170.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	39202