RCU Forums - View Single Post - Storm Launcher!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 04:43 PM
trinogt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *!STORM LAUNCHER!*

The Stormlauncher can be a very tricky unit to fly. Because it doesn't utilize traditional control surfaces like an aircraft, trying to steer it is quite an art. Inputs must be gradual when turning left or right. There is definately not much room for error, as some crashes can be totally devastating to the craft.
What I did (after a few attemtps to be a hot shot and just ending up crashing) was to finally learn that I needed some positive elevator trim. That allowed the thing to fly without me pulling back on the stick (Mistake #1)
Then, once I got it up and flying using the proper trim, I was able to learn through trial and error that using too much turn input caused it to dive (Mistake #2). Using less input, I was finally able to steer it around quite efficiently. The wind conditions must be just right, however. Too much is no good, and even too little is not helpful.
The thing will give hours of enjoyment, but learning to fly will take up many of those hours. Many people have posted in several forums their disappointment with this product. However, I myself knew what I was getting into. It is hard to buy something that does what this thing does for the price it does it. And yes, there are duds out there, like some machines got no response through the transmitter, and some reported motors that didn't run. (likely a wire came loose).
My children were to be the 'flyers' of our Stormlauncher, but after seeing Dad crash a few times in the beginning, they were less inclined to try it, and instead had a blast playing with their 'X-Twins'. (these are quite cool to fly! Hard to break unless you aren't careful how you store them)
I used the SL as a flyer, as I love flying machines. I did try it on water, and it was cool as heck, and on land it was great too. I think my next flyer will be an airplane. The SL gave me a confidence to try it!