RCU Forums - View Single Post - Copperhead Venom 45
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM
dubflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Copperhead Aviation Venom 45-30

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

I don't know the company position on this, but in reading many, many threads over the past several months, I thought it was pretty much universally agreed that a 6 volt battery on the RCExcell ignitions was not needed and not advised. I read almost every engine manufacturer's thread here on RCU, and since almost everyone uses the RCExcell ignitions, I remember several posts (Non Copperhead threads) related to damage to the igniton when 5 cell batteries were used. I know the ign. case says 4.8 - 6.0 volt, but many concluded this was a potential problem and simply advised .., others to stay with 4.8 volts and avoid a possible headache. Thats what I did, and my V45 runs great! I use a 4.8 volt 1650 mah NIMH battery on mine, which will more that cover a day at the field for me.
Hi Mitsu1,

I put a 5.4V regulator on the power supply for the bench test. I know that 5 cells when newly charged can put out over 7V initially . I am intending to use 7.4V 2100ma Lithium Ion with the 5.4v regulator with a smartfly opto kill switch for the engine ( safety first ) and 2 x 4300ma Lithium Ion pacs with a Smartfly regulator for my RX system.

I am sure a fully charged 4.8 volt pack can reach 5.4 volts initially so I should be within specification for the RCExl ignition module as it is rated for 6V. I know from being at the Joe Nall over the past 3 years that many of the 50cc birds are using 7.4V LI pacs regulated with a 5.4V .

Many thanks for your advice and interesting discussion.