dubflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Copperhead Aviation Venom 45-30

ORIGINAL: mfuess

ORIGINAL: dubflyer

Hi Mark,

just a few comments on your two part post:

1) In all my posts I have never mentioned that the engine is running on a plane. I have only run the engine on a test bench which is located at our flying field.

2) I agree with you that the only components on the electrical side not replaced at the field were the battery; switch and regulator.

As I said the engine fired each time we flipped the prop............so there was a spark..!!

If there is a large current draw with the electronic ignition then that is a new issue to me and I agree that after running the engine over 1.5 hrs that day perhaps the load on the 5 cell 2100ma battery was more than it could handle. This could very well be the source of the problem.[:-]

I have sent the engine back to OMP for testing so I am not in a position to perform a power check currently.

3) I certainly do not have the equipemt or the knowledge to perform flow tests etc on carbs so I will have to pass on this one and leave ot to the experts.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this problem soon and I can finally install the engine in my super decathlon.

I agree with your observation as it now seems to me to be the only logical explanation.

Many thanks for your expert opinion and for pointing me towards a very possible cause and an easy fix.

Looking forward to a smotth running Venom 45
Dubflyer,

Sorry for the assumption regarding your engine at the field. It "seemed" only logical that when someone is at the field, they're wanting to fly. It all makes since now. I had an engine receintly that had similar symptoms, IE: It would pop, sometimes almost run but it would never catch a good run. I fiddled with it for hours on end.... changed carbs several times, changed ignition 4 TIMES! And even replaced the sensor a couple of times. The engine simply didn't want to run, it would pop, sputter and almost fire up. I was almost totally baffled. I checked the timing and re-set it. Still no running. I checked the battery and it showed to be OK. As a LAST resort, I switched to a 4 cell 1900 Mah Nicad pack and it fired up and ran perfectly, aside from minor carb tuning.

It was my battery pack the whole damned time! And it showed to be OK on the tester. GO FIGURE... anyway, I "try" not to presume anything on engines anymore.
Mark,

Not a problem ....I am not allowed to start my airplane engines in my sub-division ( guess how I know....!! ) so I have to make a trip (70 Miles round trip ) to the field each time. That limits me to week-ends only but when all goes well I can get a few flights in between filling the fuel tank.

Sometimes it is the simplest of fixes that baffle us the most. I can certainly relate to your story .....and thank you very much for clarifying the current draw vs RPM on the RCExl..........that was the key point that I really had overlooked. It is usually not an issue when I am flying as I never go more than 3 flights without charging my ignition battery.

Many thanks,

Martin