RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is modeling becoming too diverse?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is modeling becoming too diverse?

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

We are much less diverse than we were 25 years ago.
SNIP
What do I want from the AMA ? The return of technical articles that support the eccentric interest. ( ex: How to ballance a forward swept canard) . We are grown men and students for the most part in this hobby. We should be dealing with more advanced theory. We should be leading edge. This hobby was leading edge at one time.
PF ,

I'm afraid you and I are part of a dying breed, a breed that grew up in modeling when it required more than money to participate. While money was a significant deterrent for most in the hobby we somehow managed to fly in a number of different disciplines even when it meant changing motors and radios from plane to plane at a meet. Maybe that was good as it forced us to do a lot of studying, reading, observing and experimenting before committing what was a sizable chunk of disposable income on a modeling project. We were too busy doing this to even think about questioning the way our clubs were run much less the AMA for that matter. And when we had enough experience to jump in to leadership roles and contribute something meaningful to the hobby we pretty well knew the territory. The diversity every modeler shared then was key to how the clubs and the AMA survived.