RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite DC3 Conversion To Electric
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 AM
nickbooth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite DC3 Conversion To Electric

Hi all

I am half way through a Conversion / Build of a Top Flite DC3 and am at the point where some decisions need to be made and would like a bit of help.

Firstly, I am an ok'ish builder and not always the best at building very light. I have seen a few conversions and people have spoken about managing to lower the weight to 8lbs, I expect mine to be 8.5-9.5 lbs without batteries. I have built a hatch at the very front of the plane so far and also a battery tray but need to make a lid for this so will need to start finding my batteries fairly soon.

Power sources. Although I am not building to a budget, I do not want to spend a real fortune of my electric gear but don't mind spending a couple of extra pounds/dollars for better quality.
The plane is listed by Top Flite as being capable of flying on 2 x .25 engines with 2 x .40 being very over powered. I have my eyes on a pair 500W 919Kv outrunner, 60amp opto esc and a pair of 4s1p 4000Mah ish batteries. I also want to fly on approximately 10x6 three bladed props.

The motors I am looking at are as below links

[link]http://www.b*********.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=87[/link]

and the esc's are

[link]http://www.b*********.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=379[/link]

Really looking for views opinions on this and what might be better or worse than above if the above would work. also, how do you work out the expected flight times?

Covering..........gosh darn it, it has to be covered and I hate it. Always used iron on covering and sometimes brown paper and pva (too heavy in this case) As there is a lot of plastic on this model then I think Iron on will be out but not sure what is really really really (you get the picture) easy to apply.

Finally, thrust angles, the kit specifies a real lot (8 degrees down and 4 degrees right for one side), I think much has been added to help with engine outages which shouldn't be the case for me so anyone done this before and if so what did you use / recommend.

Thanks in advance all if you can help

Nick