RCU Forums - View Single Post - massive jumps on a beautiful day
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 PM
doesgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: massive jumps on a beautiful day

ORIGINAL: ERK419

LOL WOW!! I can see why you had so much air that things on a giant hill. How much damage did it do when it landed?
Unfortunately, not as much as we had hoped. Well, we don't HOPE for damage, but the air wasn't what we had hoped and therefore the damange was minor.

Those downhill ski ramps exit at a DOWNWARD angle, not an upward angle. The skiers rely on their skis and bodies to "float" through the air for the maximum amount of time (and therefore distance), but since the ramp exits downward and about 40-50 feet out from the end of the ramp the ground drops away, they're never very far off the ground. The go so far because the hill is so darn steep! They're falling the entire time, but the ground is "falling" as well.

Anyway, due to the fact that the ground doesn't fall away for 40-50 feet and that the ramp's surface was pretty much solid, rough ice (no traction) we were never able to get enough speed to make it in the air past that lip where the slope steepened, even after adding a kicker ramp at the bottom of the ski ramp. Thus, we kept landing at the lip, bouncing, and then cartwheeling for a couple-hundred feet down the slope.

Even after all that, my Savage only popped a tie rod end off the pivot ball, my buddy's Savage had very minor damage (don't remember what, but he was driving it again after a five-minute fix), and my GS Storm buggy (pictured in this thread with the pancaking MT tires) broke a front lower arm. A few vehicles didn't even get that far due to the ice, like my NMT, a couple RC10GTs, a CEN Genesis, and a Schumacher Menace.

We filmed it all, but it's only on our DVD, not on our website.