Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: Redwulf__34

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

Hi Sean - The grain of Koverall runs parallel with the finished seam. Says so on the label in the bag. I wondered how to tell this too awhile back and noticed the label after spending several minutes examining the material with a 20X jewlers loupe. Who reads labels anyways?

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47
Hey Todd,
I was making an assumption the grain would run lengthwise on the wing. If the grain of the Koverall runs parallel to the finished seam that is the 48" lenghtway of my Koverall. My wingspan is 60" which means there is no way for me to do it in one piece. Am I wrong in the way I think I should run the grain on my wing? Also which way does the grain run on solid pieces like the rudder and ailerons? Does the grain of the Koverall run with the wood grain?????

Sean
Sean,

There are 2 directions with the Koverall (grains if you will). Lay the Koverall out on the table, or the floor. You can look closely at the material, and see that you have one set of threadlines oriented in one direction, and another set of threadlines that run perpendicular to them. This is called the warp, and the weave. In recent years the terminology has become MD (machine direction) and XD (cross direction). Now that this is out of the way, lay the material out on the wing so that you have about 2" hanging off at one wing tip, and cut the material on the other end, so that you have about 2" over length there as well. Now align the material so that you have about 2" overhang at the leading edge, and the trailing edge. What i meant by keeping the grain straight, was to not adhere the material to the model on a bias. When you begin to shrink the material, you will see that the product shrinks equally in both directions (along the grain/s) This product will shrink at least 12% both machine and cross direction. It 's not a big deal which way the product is oriented other than to not install it on a bias. Hope this helps clear it up for you.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1