RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 06:22 PM
aminiet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Stickbuilder.

About covering the wings, I may have been doing it backwards, I start just aft of at the upper leading edge and tack the bottom surface in place, then fold it over to the upper surface and end at the lower side of the wing leading edge giving me about a one inch overlap.
Is it a matter of preference, or does it really makes a difference?

On another subject.

Regarding the Cuban UMF-3 Wacos.
I have been in contact with a man who was a captain in the Cuban Navy air wing before Castro. and remembers the Wacos well.
He is now 90 years old.
The only part of the airplane painted yellow was the upper surface of the upper wing, and this was for visibility purposes just in case in went into the drink, the rest of the aircraft was painted navy gray except for the cowling which had no blisters and was blue, same as the 3 stripes on the Cuban flag which is painted on the rudder. the star as shown on the picture we all see is crooked or at an angle, The star is always with a tip pointed up, the number and the letters on the sides of the fuselage were black, and on the case of the Wacos, the roundels had the tip of the star painted aft, in some other aircraft types the tip goes forward.
Another big detail I found out from him is that at the vertical stab. the navy emblem or shield was painted, this were two anchors crossed like an X and had wings on top, I guess similar to a pilots wings. I asked him to draw me a picture. If we look close at aircraft 26, you will see a blurr at that location.
Aircraft 26 was in service until the late 50's
I will continue to dig for information, i find it not only interesting, but fastinating as well.

Angel
B 58