RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lazy mans large, Portable,building table Finished w/ PICS
Old 09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
housedad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lazy mans large, Portable, FLAT building table build thread

The first two pics are the doors glued and ready to put together. Pic 3 shows the end or them laminated together. 4 and 5 shows putting in 2 inch drywall screws just under flush with the top.

Pic 6 now has the top and bottom 1/4 inch Birch pllywood skins glued on with contact cement and the trimming off of the excess with a flush bit in a router.

Pic 7 shows the Finished trimming with pic 8 showing all the laminates.

Pics 8 and 9 Show the prep of gluing on the oak banding (edging) around the entire table. I used Gorrilla glue and a brad nailer. After the banding was dry, I used a router with a flush bit to bring it to the level of the table top.

Pic 10 shows the strength of the table. That is me, pretty dirty from doing yard and gardern work, and dirt from the routing of the table parts. I am 250 pounds. The sawhorses are positioned at the very ends of the table. As I got on it, there was not a single creak or crack to be heard. It is solid as a rock! But a heck of a lot lighter.

Pick 11 shows the center deflection of the table with my weight on it. Measured to be 1/4 inch. Incredible for such a light table and that long of a span!! remember, it is only 3 1/4 inch thick!!

For those that think it is overkill, please remember that the requirements I had for a table is that is flat at all times for modeling, t will not twist or distort in storage, and It had to be light enought for me to haul around.

Additionally, it needed to be stiff enough to be self supporting. It does not need a level support structure to remain flat.

This table has fufilled all the requirements.

(on edit: I make no apologies about my messed up garage. I get to clean it up about once a month. It is not where I do my modeling!!)