RCU Forums - View Single Post - Matney's ZOOMER
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 PM
z06kal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Matney's ZOOMER

rmenke for something the size of a miss ashley you would want a LOT more power to get or surpass nelson performance. My first E-powered pylon project was a wildhare LR1. I used mega's biggest motor the 36/30/3 and a 6S 4200 pack. It pulled about 65 amps on a 7x7 prop. This setup was good to about 138ish on radar doing level passes running a flat circular course. Out of a dive 150+ was easily attainable but I dont' consider that real world performance. I tried to prop up to a 7.4x8 Q40 prop to get some more speed but this pulled 80 amps and at 6S voltage it cooked the Mega motor good in a single run up test. The 36/30/3 is a real big motha too. This thing was really heavy for the wing area and it was a nightmare to land. 36oz/sqft loading.

The next project was a Royal Models Trick. This thing had a crazy fat draggy symetrical wing. I mean hella draggy it was litteraly 1" thick. Big ol Aveox long can 36/30/2, CC125 controller, and Hyperion 6S 3700 batteries. I ran a 7x7 prop on this as well. The first time I ran it up it was a frightning ammount of power. It was insanely loud. It was pulling 100 amps settling to mid 80's at 21 volts. In an honost straight line it was mid 150's despite the very draggy wing. Out of a dive it was doing 170+ easily. For giggles I put the plane on course with a Nelson powered Q500 and they were fairly close in a straight line but I had a lot more exit accleration. So clearly to me 2000 watts is the point where you eclipse nelson power.

Now that Neu makes a low turn high voltage motor (19 series) I want to do a 12S pulling about 60 amps. If I can find an airframe that is pretty sleek compared to the Trick was this should do an easy 180.

None of the built in Controller BEC's are good for high voltage. Castle creations now makes a very good cheap BEC as does UBEC. Just google it and you will find a source for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b32TrOxF6Q