RCU Forums - View Single Post - Considering an Axe CP
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
redvtr1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Considering an Axe CP

I am on the side that you should probably skip the axe step if you really are going to be into heli's. Not a bad place to start and see if its something you want to do though.

Sum up of my opinions (which I think are widely shared).

1. Batteries are horrible, even if you buy 3 of them flight times still suck and charging times are worse. Needs lipo and charger to handle them. That can add at least a couple hundred bucks to your axe. figuring about 100 for a charger and connections and then another hundred for 2 packs or so. What's more is you probably won't be able to transfer those packs to a larger 400 class heli so well because they will again be on the small side. I am using TP 2200s in my mini titan now. 1320s I would have gotten for the axe wouldn't fair so well in the titan.

2. The tail control system is pretty horrible. I see no difference in the adjustment of the gyro gain. Can't make the tail wag though if I turn it all the way down it gets worse and you have to do it all with your left hand. Half the time I feel like I am fighting the tail. So, you need to add a gy240 (or something similar) and an esc. Then the tail motor can fail on you so figure on buying one of those before long as well. I bought a gy 401 instead because it transfers over to a larger heli better.

Even if you did all that to the axe, I still don't think it would warrant all that cash when you looked at the resulting performance. So, you go brushless and add another 150-200 dollars worth of gear. Yuk!

Get a trex or a mini titan and be done with it. Probably does cost more to get running but I didn't go cheap on a lot of things that I could have skimped on and thats why.

da