RCU Forums - View Single Post - Induction Timing
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 11:34 PM
FastRcCars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Induction Timing

Jim, I think this is a good tip but there is no way to match a cnc machine and some one who has been a Machinist for 25 years, cnc programmer, and has a Fluid dynamics engineering degree. I do not know why he has not posted here yet; (other than being busy workin on the big boys toys.) Here is a pic That looks cool and shows the difference between cnc modding and the good old fashiond hand job! Do not get me wrong I have been doing HiPro work on hot rods for years and it takes a combination. IE: machines to punch out the head to desired specs, then by hand to finish the porting and polishing.
The main thing everyone should know is "be very careful when opening crank window and after porting the rest you will need to rebalance! Many trics to this But one hand method I have seen that does work will require a little fabbing. First make a jig that will hold the crank with the bearings on it and will fit on an ultrasonic. (small machine that cleans jewelry and such.) make sure bearings are very easy to turn (new and well oiled) straps will wrap arround bearings (also make sure you have clearance ie: crank will not touch anything other than inner race of bearings.) and as the ultrasonic vibs rotate crank in 45 and 90 degree increments. Watch the crank after each reposition and the heavy part will rotate to the bottom after a few seconds or so, after it stops mark heavy part on crank on the counter ballance weight (big part all arround where rod connects). Grind a LITTLE off heavy side at a time rechecking often, When you can put the crank in any position and it does not move its Balanced!
Remember bearings do have resistance so this is not perfect but it will work and if you want to get technical and be a big time perfecto after the crank is done, balance the drive washer and flywheel. Simply put them on the crank (1 at a time) and do the same as before only drill small hole in the side of drive washer to remove weight and for the flywheel... Well it depends on the wheel I am sure you can find a way to lighten the heavy side. FastRcCars [>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81441.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	772418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19001.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	772419