RCU Forums - View Single Post - phoenix decathlon
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 09:38 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: phoenix decathlon

ORIGINAL: 3010charles

Has anyone flown this plane with success in a two piece wing configuration? I just purchased this ARF and am in the process of assembling it. I drive A Mustang and there not very much room for cargo of this size. If the wing could be left in two pieces, transportation should not be a big problem. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have a plan for linking the wing halves securely?

It looks like nobody has tried what you're interested in.

Gliders have been flown for years and years with rubber banded on wings that're held together on piano wire joiners. The bands actually keep the halves from separating. But they also provide support against the wings folding.

If you were to rely on the locating pins and hold-down bolts for keeping the halves together, they should be enough. But there would be very little to resist folding. The struts are cosmetic. Their structure wouldn't do much and would require quite a bit of change to actually provide effective anti-folding help.

You might actually be able to get enough by creating a cradle across the cabin top opening. The wing could then gain support from the cradle right at the center. That'd work for inside loops. Outsides? You'd need a method that securely locked the two halves together to get anti-fold that worked both ways.

The wing joiner is a tube and that's positive. I just don't remember if it was robust enough to rely on with the added strength the system gets from being epoxied together. It fit quite well. But no telling what the wing tubes are.