Thread: Miss Martha
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:47 PM
toprudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Miss Martha

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Ed,

Thanks for your input. If I remember correctly, the 40 size wing was intended to be built it one piece. If you want me to, I can mirror the wing half shown and send you a PDF so you can have both sides to build from. The plans I made the drawings from showed the CG on the 3/8" spruce spar. Also, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add shear webs all the way to the wing tip. Hopefully Toprudder here on RCU can correct me if I am wrong about anything.

Fly safe and have fun!!
David
Sorry I am joining this thread a little late, I just stumbled upon it.

Yes, the wing was intended to be built as one piece, so there was never any "root" rib, no need for it.

I can't speak for the plans in question (they did not originate with me) but the balance was right on the spar for the original design. FWIW, the original prototype had 3/8" hardwood spars and 3/32" sheeting. It was way overbuilt. The later VessRich kits had 1/4" hardwood spars and 1/16" sheeting. On all of the ones I built, I used 2 less ribs and spaced them further apart, and also used 1/4" balsa spars that I handpicked (HARD balsa) with 1/16" shear webbing about halfway out. The original fuselage was built from 3/32" balsa with 1/16" ply doublers. If the fuse broke, it always broke at the end of the doubler, right behind the wing. Was easy to fix that way. The later kits from Model Engineering were 1/8" lite ply sides, they tended to come out a little tail heavy.

Bob Richards