RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anderson Kingfisher
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Kevin R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anderson Kingfisher

As an update on my Kingfisher's performance, I found the OS120 engine was not powerful enough for water takeoffs; this may be because my model is a little heavier than others may be, due to the retracting wheels and glassclothed finish on the fuz. I replaced the engine with a Moki 180 driving a 3-blade 17" x 10" carbon prop. This combination is perfect, giving 1/2" clearance between the prop tips and the decking.
The CG. position does not seem to be critical: I removed the initial 1/4 lb. of lead from the nose (slid up the square central tube) with an improvement in performance and no change in trim settings.
I have successfully taxied down a ramp into the water, and out again after the flight, which was very satisfying!
I would advise that the foredeck be very well fuelproofed if painted, and straight (no nitro) fuel is used. I spoiled the nice paintwork on my first flights, due to fuel dripping down from the engine.
The water rudder needs to be of tough material (epoxy sheet) and very strong springs fitted, otherwise it will bend, or flip up when landing. At the moment I am trying to devise an up/down movement operated by servo. (The water rudder proved to be essential in breezy conditions)
Takeoffs are beautiful, long and totally scale-like. Last week I looped and rolled the model with no problems ( but this is hardly scale flying!) I have not yet dared to try spinning it......