RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pictures to DesignCAD
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Pictures to DesignCAD

cuoremia, you can't just move an image like that into CAD directly and have it come out bang on to scale. The CAD program doesn't care that it's a 3view drawing with dimensions. It just sees a bunch of color bits that come in as an image.

Assuming you're using a later version of TurboCAD and not the earlier ones before Ver7 that didn't like images very much you can import the image as an element using the "insert object" or "insert Image" and then use the "insert from file". This function seems to take a bit of fiddling depending on the versions. For myself I've had my best luck saving my scanned image in Paintshop Pro and import the PP file directly. I went through a lot of images of just the Windows Icon before I got this method to work. So you'll likely need to play with your own setup and try some options as well.

Anyhow, once you have the scanned image file plunked down you can do one of two things. There's raster to vector (as in image to CAD) converters that look for sharp differences in the image (lines) and try to convert the black or colored lines of the image to CAD lines. But frankly unless your image uses very fine and narrow lines this usually ends up being a disaster with so many odd line elements and other junk that you'll spend far more time cleaning up the converted drawing than you will if you just trace over the key elements yourself.

Remember tracing paper? That's sort of what you'll do here. I like to pick a new color for my CAD lines for tracing so they stand out from the image lines. Something like bright blue or red. Now trace with lines and curves and circles over your 3 view using the zoom in on the mouse wheel to set the vertices down in the middle of the suddenly very thick image lines. Generally you can make a working trace using this technique in an hour or two and then get rid of the image and just work with the CAD lines from that point on.

Once you've gotten a rough working trace into your system play with it a little to rotate by a few 1/10ths of a degree to line up the traced lines to a true horizontal and vertical set of datum lines you set down using the Ortho function before you start doing the structure details. Also at the same time you can then blow up the trace (which will likely be quite small up to now) to whatever size you require from Pnut scale to full size. Use the Dimension tool to mark the span or other known length and then use the Scale factor to enlarge or reduce the overall drawing size until the dimension you laid down matches what you want. Because you can scale in small decimal fractions of a % you can soon get it "close enough" by working with hundredths or thousandths of a % in the scale factor.