RCU Forums - View Single Post - the prefect platform for aerial photography
Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the prefect platform for aerial photography

Hi Steve,

I was testing on 900 mhz 500 mw video and was getting very poor results. With a 8 dBI patch from hyperlink mounted on my head with a helmet, the video would become unusable before 2 miles [:'(] When I set the helmet antenna down on the ground in disgust, the video suddenly became very clear [X(] With the helmit sitting on the ground, I got a range of 8 miles... See the attached picture.

I have read you talk about adding ground planes to patch antennas before, but appears that having ground near a 900 mhz patch makes a HUGE difference !!! I would also guess that it helps at 2.4 GHZ.

I should be able to get more than 8 miles range from 1000 mw 2.4 ghz video. I am going to add external ground planes to my patch antennas on both 900 mhz and 2.4 ghz, do you know what size and distance would make the optimum ground plane ??? I see you listed the size for the 8 dbi patch, but i use a 14 dbi patch for 2.4 which is much larger, and also happens to be the exact same size as the 8 dbi patch for 900 mhz. Lots of us use patch antennas and this would be really good information.

Thanks

JettPilot

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75772.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	789596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38605.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	789597